PREPARATION FOR ENGLISH EXAMS FRIENDLYBOY I. PRONUNCIATION AND STRESS
A. Which word is stressed differently from the others?
1. A. proceed B. penny C. profit D. housework 2. A. contribution B. demonstration C. generation D. participation 3. A. appointment B. sentiment C. arrangement D. agreement 4. A. enthusiastic B. idealistic C. unrealistic D. optimistic 5. A. inspire B. embrace C. remove D. extra
B. Which underlined part is pronounced differently?
6. A. manage B. garbage C. math D. fabulous 7. A. leisure B. translate C. costume D. nonstop 8. A. strength B. math C. breath D. breathe 9. A. pure B. cure C. superb D. music 10. A. forget B. social C. donate D. toaster
II. GRAMMAR AND STRUCTURE
11. We’ve just bought …… table. A. a big old square B. an old big square C. a big square old D. a square big old
12. I wish you …… smoke so much. A. don’t B. didn’t C. shouldn’t D. won’t
13. The director …… and now he is visiting the workshop. A. is arriving B. arrived C. has arrived D. had arrived
14. Have you fed the chickens yet? In the passive voice, this should read: A. Has somebody fed the chickens yet? B. Have the chickens fed yet? C. Have the chickens been fed yet? D. Have you had the chickens fed yet?
15. The house is old and it needs ……. A. to paint B. painting C. painted D. being painted
16. “Have you ever met the man …… over there?” “No. Who is he?” A. stands B. standing C. is standing D. who he is standing
17. The boys slept comfortably. Their sleeping-bags were ……. A. a comfort B. in comfort C. comfortable D. comfortably
18. Why ……? A. you didn’t stay B. didn’t you stay C. you not stayed D. didn’t you stayed
19. The buildings have been designed by Kurt Gunter, so the designs ……. A. are not complete yet B. are now complete C. will be complete soon D. haven’t been completed yet
20. When he finished, there …… only two pieces of cake left. A. is B. was C. are D. were
21. He said, “I bring my book every day.” In indirect speech, this should read: A. He said that I brought my book every day. B. He told that he brought my book every day. C. He said to me to bring my book every day. D. He said that he brought his book every day.
22. Besides being expensive, the food in the cafeteria tastes ……. A. badly B. too badly C. too much bad D. bad
23. “Did you sell your car yet?” “No, but there’s a woman who is …… in buying it.” A. definitely interested B. definite interested C. definitely interesting D. interested definitely
24. It’s a shame that you have …… time in New York on the tour. A. so few B. so little C. a few D. a little
25. I don’t feel …… smoking now. A. like B. for C. as D. with
26. Many people pretend that they …… modern art. A. understood B. are understanding C. understand D. to understand
27. They built the Eiffel Tower in 1889. A. The Eiffel Tower were built in 1889. B. In 1889 was the Eiffel Tower built. C. In 1889 the Eiffel Tower be built. D. The Eiffel Tower was built in 1889.
28. “Were you pleased with the translation?” “Yes. The job was …….” A. amazing satisfactory B. amazingly satisfactory C. amazing satisfactorily D. satisfactory amazing
29. “Did you find anything with your metal detector?” “Only …… gold coins.” A. a few B. a little C. a few of D. a few number of
30. I thought he …… any money. A. doesn’t have B. didn’t have C. hasn’t had D. isn’t having
31. How long …… married? A. are you B. have you been C. was you D. will you be
32. While Mary was cleaning the flat, her husband ……. A. sleep B. slept C. was sleeping D. is sleeping
33. For lunch, you may have …… chicken or fish. A. both B. neither C. not only D. either
34. The manager …… signed the contract has been transferred to another company. A. whom B. who C. whose D. which
35. That’s the wig …… she was wearing. A. who B. which C. that D. B&C are correct.
36. His father is a very friend of ……. A. them B. their C. theirs D. themselves
37. I have two horses. …… of them run very fast. A. All B. Both C. Each D. One
38. Nam and his girlfriend look at …… in the mirror. A. himself B. themselves C. herself D. them
39. He divided the money between you and ……. A. I B. me C. my D. mine
40. “If a thing isn’t ……,” he said, “I can give it away.” A. mine B. of mine C. to me D. my
III. CLOZE PASSAGE Read the following passage and then choose the word (A, B, C or D) that best completes each blank. CONCORDE, the world’s fastest and most graceful (41)______ plane, will soon be 25 years old. It first flew on 2 March 1969, from Toulouse in France . Concorde was developed by both France and Britain . From 1956 these two countries had a (42) ______ of a supersonic passenger plane. In 1962 they started to work together on the (43)______. The plane cost over £1.5 billion to develop. It is the most (44) ______ plane in the history of (45)______. It was given over 5,000 hours of testing. Concorde flies at twice the speed of sound. This means that it takes only 3 hours 25 minutes to fly between London and New York , compared with 7 – 8 hours in other passenger jets. Because of the five-hour time (46)______ between the USA and Britain , it is possible to travel west on Concorde and arrive in New York before you leave London ! You can (47)______ the 10.30 am flight from London , Heathrow and start work in New York an hour earlier! Concorde is much used by business people and film stars. But its oldest passenger was Mrs. Ethel Lee from Leicestershire in England . She was 99 years old when she (48)______ from Heathrow on 24 February 1985. Each Concorde is built at a (49)______ of £55 million. Twenty have been built so far. Air France and British Airways (50)______ the most. They each have seven planes.
41. A. transportation B. carriage C. conveyance D. passenger 42. A. expectation B. dream C. hope D. imagination 43. A. project B. plot C. structure D. development 44. A. tested B. tried C. investigated D. experimented 45. A. flight B. aviation C. space D. locomotion 46. A. separation B. division C. expansion D. difference 47. A. run B. transport C. catch D. register 48. A. blasted B. launched off C. took off D. flew off 49. A. cost B. price C. expense D. expenditure 50. A. own B. mortgage C. hire D. master
IV. COMPREHENSION READING Read the following passage. For questions 51 – 55, you are to choose one best answer (A, B, C or D) to each question. People who travel frequently on business or for pleasure often suffer some form of health problem, yet over half of these problems can easily be prevented. The most common ailment, a headache, can be avoided by taking along an ample supply of aspirin or other pain reliever. Another common affliction is motion sickness caused by the constant movement of a vehicle. Ginger capsules, sold in most health-food stores, have been found effective as a remedy. Other familiar problems include sunburn, which can be prevented by using an effective sunscreen, and insect bites, which can be controlled with use of a repellent spray or ointment. For everyday cuts and scratches, a first-aid kit containing bandages and antiseptic cream is recommended.
51. What is the best title for this passage? A. Frequent Travelers B. Avoiding Travel Ailments C. Common Health Problems D. Traveling for Business or Pleasure 52. According to the passage, travelers are most commonly bothered by A. sunburn B. motion sickness C. insect bites D. headaches 53. In line 3, the word “affliction” can best be replaced by A. result B. experience C. ailment D. supply 54. According to the passage, what can be used to remedy motion sickness? A. A moving vehicle B. Pain-killers C. Ginger capsules D. A first-aid kit 55. Which of the following is NOT mentioned in the passage as a solution to a health problem? A. Sunscreen B. Cold cream C. Repellent spray D. Aspirin