Giới từ đi với danh từ
• At/on/in (chỉ thời gian) + noun
At : (for the time of day)
At 5 o’clock, at midnight, at lunch time, at sunset, at night, at the weekend, at weekends, at the moment, at present, at the same time, at Christmas…
On (for days and dates)
On Friday(s), on 29 June 1987, on Christmas day, on my birthday…
In (for longer periods)
In October, in 1986, in the 19th century, in winter, in the past, in the 1970s, in future…
Chú ý: Chúng ta nói “in the morning(s), in the afternoon(s), in the evening(s)” nhưng chúng ta nói “on Friday morning(s), on Sunday afternoon(s)…”
• At/on/in (chỉ địa điểm) + noun
+ in: ở trong. Ví dụ: in a room, in a building, in a garden, in a country, in a line, in a picture, in the sky, in the world, in a book/newspaper, in bed…
+ on: ở trên. Ví dụ: on the floor, on the chair, on the beach, on the wall, on the ceiling, on a farm, on a map, on the menu, on the way to……
+ at: ở. Ví dụ: at the bus stop, at the window, at home, at university, at a party,at the station, at the airport …
Ví dụ: There’s no one in the room.
When I go to the cinema, I prefer to sit in the front row.
Who is that man standing at the bus stop?
Write your name at the top of the page.
I sat on the beach.
There is a label on the bottle.
So sánh các trường hợp sau:
- In the corner of the room…
Ví dụ: The television is in the corner of the room
- At the corner of the street
Ví dụ: There is a public telephone at the corner of the street.
- In the front/in the back of a car
I was sitting in the back (of a car) when we crashed. - At the front/at the back of a building/cinema/group of people
The garden is at the back of the house
I was standing at the back, so I couldn’t see very well. - On the front/on the back of a letter/piece of paper…
Write your name on the back of this envelope.
- At the end (of something): thời gian khi cái gì kết thúc
I’m going away at the end of June
At the end of the concert, there was great applause.
- In the end = finally
Jim couldn’t decide where to go for his holidays. In the end, he didn’t go anywhere.
- On a bus/on a train/on a plane/on a ship/ on a bicycle/on a horse/on a motorbike
The bus was very full. There were too many people on it. - In a car/ in a taxi
(chúng ta dùng “in” cho “car” và “taxi”)
George arrived in a taxi. - By bus/by car/by bicycle (bằng phương tiện gì)
I go to school by bus
• On/at/in + noun (other uses)
On holiday/on business/on a trip/on a tour/on a cruise…
- Tom’s away at the moment. He’s on holiday in France.
- Did you go to Germany on business or on holiday?
Bạn cũng có thể nói “go to a place for a holiday”
On television/on the radio:
- I didn’t watch the news on television, but I heard it on the radio.
On the phone/ telephone:
- I’ve never met her but I’ve spoken to her on the phone.
On fire: đang cháy
- Look! That car is on fire.
On purpose: cố ý
- I’m sorry. I didn’t do it on purpose.
On the whole: nhìn chung
- Sometimes I have problems at work but on the whole I enjoy my job.
On strike: đình công
- There are no trains today. The railway workers are on strike.
In the rain/in the shade/ in the sun/ in the dark/ in bad weather..
- We sat in the shade. It was too hot to sit in the sun.
In ink/in pencil: (but “with the pencil”)
- When you do the exam, you’re not allowed to write in pencil
- I write the letter with a pencil.
In cash (but “by cheque/by credit card”)
- I paid the bill in cash.
In (my) opinion: theo ý tôi..
- In my opinion,the film wasn’t very good.
At risk: bị đe dọa, bị nguy hiểm
- Birds are at risk of being injured or orphaned.